Monday, November 2, 2015

My Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Dr. Visit

I know it's been a while but i'm getting back into this blog. This time I PROMISE. Like, FOR REAL PROMISE! Let's start this new found blogging time here on Life As We Know It with a little story about my visit to the Dr. Office with Lincoln this morning. Hold on... it's going to be a wild ride! 

So let's start with few facts. Lincoln starts daycare tomorrow for 2 days a week. He has to have a physical in order to start. Our pediatrician, Dr. Pav, retired in October. (Don't get me started... it was a sad, sad day and I'm still not fully recovered from the loss). But that's another story.... 

Anyway, so I take Lincoln to a new doctor here in town (for the sake of this poor dr. I won't give out the name). But, I had received several high recommendations on her and thought what the heck? It's in town, convenient, much closer... let's give it a shot. Boy, was I in for a treat this morning. 

So, I had to wake Lincoln up to get him ready. Keep in mind, I'm sick too and feel awful. I'm already grouchy and in no way, shape or form in the mood to deal with anyone's B.S. today. But I kept telling myself, this is so close... you only have to drive a few miles and you're there. No big deal. HAH! 

I got there early to fill out all the paperwork since Lincoln is a new patient. We finally get that all done and get called back. The nurse, oh she was a breath of fresh air... Lincoln could sense that too and was already on his way to a meltdown. GREATTTT! So we can't get him weighed by standing on the scale so she asks to move him to the counter scale. Ok. FINE. So I pick him up and set him on the counter. "You need to lean back and not touch it!" Ok... let me let go of my kid so he can fall and bust his head. yep, that's a great idea. 

Moving on... we're in the room waiting for the doctor. When she first comes in Lincoln was talking and she says, "Does he always talk like that? I can't understand him" Are you kidding me? He's 2 first of all, secondly- he had issues because of his ears and not being able to fully hear us until he got tubes put in. He's actually talking a lot more now and a lot plainer. We did speech therapy for awhile and he "graduated" because he was doing so well. AND she's going to basically scold him for not talking "clearly." Insert punch in the face here. SERIOUSLY! But i kept my mouth shut and just smiled a "i really hate you right now but i'm going to be polite" smile. Then she says ok I need to check his "Wee-wee" or what do you call it at home? Ummm, i don't know, I said...we don't really have an "official" term. (See... i'm already super impressed). She sees he has a pull up on- (that's all he wears now because he wants to be a "big boy") and says, oh he's a little young to be potty training already. First of all, he's 2 and he's not too young. Secondly, it's none of your business. OH EM GEE. Then she says ok Let me go see if we got the shot records from your previous doctor. OK. go right ahead. 

(Let me say before I go on, we choose not to give our kids the MMR vaccine until they're 3 or older. That is our PERSONAL PREFERENCE. If you have issues with this, please keep them to yourself. I'm not about to battle the do's and don'ts of vaccines with you- nor am i going to debate why or why my kids should or shouldn't receive them. IT'S MY OPINION!) can you tell i'm on edge today? 

So, the doctor comes back in and says something like "I see you don't have the MMR vaccine." Yes, I said- we are waiting until he's 3 to do that. "Why?" It's my personal preference. "Ok then, why?" Because it's my personal preference. "Yeah but why? I need an explanation" OK then... I studied this subject in college and I believe that It CAN sometimes link to autism and I'm not going to vaccinate my child with the MMR until he's 3. (Yes, I know there's no scientific proof... don't get me started...)"You realize that if there is a measles outbreak and he catches it... he WILL die" Ummm.. ok. Are you resorting to scare tactics? That's what's going through my brain right now.  He will be 3 in about 6 months- I'll take my chances. He will be fine. Already about to punch her in the face, right? 

Then I'm asked about our family medical history. I say, Well on my husband's side there's nothing too much really and on my side I have no idea. "Why don't you know?" Because I was adopted when I was 4 months old. "Ok, I guess that's a good enough reason!" YOU GUESS! YOU STINKING GUESS IT'S A GOOD ENOUGH REASON!? SERIOUSLY!!!! Ok, let me fly to Korea, hunt my birth mom down, find out her medical history and then i'll report to you. UM, NO! 

At the end, she said, ok let me go get your papers. If you need anything, just give us a call. I 'KINDLY' replied "That's ok, we won't be coming back here ever again." Seriously. Never ever ever... coming back here again...ever ever ever. (ok, maybe i was singing taylor swift in my head just then).

I left so frustrated and just downright mad. I have never had an experience like that at a doctors office. Never has my child been treated like that in a doctors office. I'm disgusted and soooooooooo ready to just punch that doc in the face. HAH! I left a review on their website about my terrible, horrible, very bad experience there. The Schiff's will NO longer be visiting this facility. I'll drive the 30 minutes to Carbondale instead. WHY oh WHY did Dr. Pav retire? We miss him soooo much! : (

2 comments:

  1. What's wrong with pull ups? I'm still stuck on that.. My daughter is two as well and she wears them. She pees in her potty and if she doesn't, I tell her it's okay because I don't want her thinking she's introuble. The beauty of being the parent(s) means you're the BOSS!! Sorry you had a bad experience! Going anywhere in public can be stressful enough LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Janelle, this woman had me on edge all day I'm still fuming over it everytime I think about it. The nerve she had. Lol. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with pullups... I don't know why she had to make a big deal out of it. Lincoln loves them and even tries to go potty... we're not quite there yet but at least he's getting the basic idea. Not to mention, I find pullups to be much easier than diapers. Lol. :)

      Delete

I love comments...Let me know what's on your mind! :)